Tuesday, November 4, 2008

portfolio assessment ch.3

Portfolio Assessment Ch. 3

I realized that I’ve heard of or saw portfolio’s in one form or another since high school and no one was exactly the same. I saw districts who used Xerox boxes for portfolios in schools that had no space to store them in that was also conveniently accessible for those needing access. More recently I see 3 ring binders (of assessments from the last 3 years for documentation, so I’ve been told). I saw “portfolios’’ in one stuffed manila folder held together with a thick rubber band. Now I finally read about them and feel like an ELL student myself in this class and subject. Fortunately, this chapter provided clear and explicit examples for new and old vocabulary and concepts that I desperately needed more of. (I wish I had another SLATEr to practice and play vocabulary card games with- (but of course those can be created on computers) just for this class alone in SLATE.)
I wish you could see all the underlines and notes just for this chapter my book right now and … I’ll just try to share some…
I found that the most amazing thing to read about what a portfolio is and isn’t was when the authors on page 35 shared from sources whom back in 1991 said that a portfolio ain’t a portfolio without a students’ self-assessments and reflections. That piece of information was an “aha!” for me; no wonder I felt like there was a reason I didn’t really do these in a systematic way in the first place and because I didn’t have a clear enough picture of, but this helps, then the other reason may have been that I know the follow-on teacher would not be interested in them if it’s “too much.”
The three different kinds of self-assessments information helped me to remember there’s kinds and types of everything.
The Clearly Stated Criteria section reminded me of the Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) we are working toward as a district, which we are getting more training on as needed. This too has been around as long as portfolios have been it seems.
Anyways, the Getting started with Portfolios section wore me out in a positive way. I am grateful for this stuff to already be written so that I don’t have to do that part at least, (which felt like I would need to do in order to start my own for this class,- which by the way should be part electronic and part paper, just to be on the safe side, you know- always need something tangible. Technology may not always be here. ☺)
Finally, the details provided by the authors make for easier beginnings in this process of portfolio creation, maintenance, and reflection. And last but not least, the list of nine 9 key points for using portfolios with ELLs provided at the end of the chapter was thoughtfully considerate of the authors to include for someone like me to feel more informed to begin to really begin to seriously think about using portfolios correctly.

3 comments:

Guru Pitka said...

Hi Quana,
Did you get from the chapter the process on how to start portfolios? I still have no idea how to start an oral or written assessment or how to ask K students how they want to set up their goals. I must be confused because I only read about the types of portfolios and what they might be good for but I didn't find examples of how to start one. What page did you find the examples? Please, please point it out to me!! I can't wait to get started, but I can't find the step by step process. Thank you.

languagemcr said...

Q,
Fun to read your enthusiasm about portfolios. You are right about the importance of including student self assessment to the portfolios.

Mae-Check out pp. 46-51. This goes over the steps 1. setting the purpose, 2. matching contents to purpose, 3. setting criteria, 4. setting standards of performance, 5. getting students involved, 6. getting parents involved

We'll talk about those today.
Marilee

quana said...

Yes Mae- I understand where you're coming from and felt your anguish up until just the other week when we had our district inservice- where we got more training on creating ILPs (Individual Learning Plans) with our students that are about goal setting and getting the kids to take ownership- so it's kind of like a mini-portfolio I realized after reading this article. SO, the most helpful thing for me in getting started is the fact that you start off with an overview of setting goals, then begin to describe those goals and list them as steps to achieving that goal and to accomplish this through the use of projects that have to be outlined in steps to complete it- ... I'm supposed to be getting an e-mail with the info and will share that wuith you if you'd like.